Ever wondered what it takes to be an entrepreneur?
The professional and personal challenges, the high and lows, the failures and the success? Startup Weekend is a global grassroots movement of active and empowered entrepreneurs who are learning the basics of founding startups and launching successful ventures. It is the largest community of passionate entrepreneurs with over 400 past events in 100 countries around the world in 2011.
The non-profit organization is headquartered in Seattle, Washington but Startup Weekend organizers and facilitators can be found in over 200 cities around the world. From Mongolia to South Africa to London to Brazil, people around the globe are coming together for weekend long workshops to pitch ideas, form teams, and start companies.
All Startup Weekend events follow the same basic model: anyone is welcome to pitch their startup idea and receive feedback from their peers. Teams organically form around the top ideas (as determined by popular vote) and then it’s a 54 hour frenzy of business model creation, coding, designing, and market validation.
The weekends culminate with presentations in front of local entrepreneurial leaders with another opportunity for critical feedback. Whether entrepreneurs found companies, find a cofounder, meet someone new, or learn a skill far outside their usual 9-to-5, everyone is guaranteed to leave the event better prepared to navigate the chaotic but fun world of startups.
Have you ever had an idea for improving education? Here’s your opportunity to transform your education ideas into action in 54 hours. Find the right people with complementary skills & the passion to build an education product in one weekend. Design for learning, conduct user tests, receive coaching from experienced education designers & industry professionals and win prizes that will help take your idea to the next level!
Friday night: 60-second pitches that result in the formation of small teams around the best, most viable education concepts. Educators validate ideas, then all attendees vote. We hope you’ll pitch, but definitely not required!
Saturday and Sunday: Work days! Teams focus on user research, customer development, validating their ideas and building prototypes with the help of experienced coaches from the education and entrepreneurial world. You’re welcome to stay and work as long as the venue will allow!
Sunday evening: Teams demo their education products and receive valuable feedback from a panel of expert judges. Winning teams take home a grab bag of great tools to help launch their company!
Here’s some examples of startups that have come out of Startup Weekend EDU:
- ImagiLabs’s Challenge Box- Educational adventure games for kids age 8-12 and seek to inspire them to explore real challenges until they find their moment of triumph
- Qeyno is a career exploration game that helps inform students about possible STEM career options & offers guidance on how to achieve them
- Kidfit Academy- A nonprofit running interactive physical & health education curriculum that empowers students to take control of their health & wellness with fun technology
Here’s some of the things you get from attending
- Delicious & healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner for the whole weekend
- A free .co domain name
- $2,000 of credit on Google App Engine
- $100 of AWS credit for hosting
- 50 free moo.com business cards
- Awesome SWORLEDU t-shirt
- Amazing coaching by education startup industry leaders
- Fun swag from Google, .Co and more!
- A network of 120 new developer, designer & entrepreneur friends that are also excited about improving education
The Winning Team will receive:
Sponsors we need your help to make great prize happen for our teams!
All of the pitches on Friday and companies demoed on Sunday will be educator approved and designed to solve problems in the education space, broadly defined (not restricted to K-12 or other “formal” education).
We hope you join us!